- Jadera coturnix coturnix (Burmeister 1835)
- Jadera coturnix rufoculis (Kirby 1890)
Mistakenly referred to as aeola after being designated as such by Kirby in 1852. However, this species had already been named coturnix by Burmeister in 1835. It was not until recently that this mistake was corrected. Because of this, there is still a substantial amount of literature that incorrectly refers to coturnix as aeola.
Jadera coturnix coturnix (Burmeister 1835)
Range: Texas and Mexico to Argentina
Hosts: Cardiospermum grandiflorum (Showy Balloonvine or Showy Heartseed), Paullinia sessiliflora, Paullinia turbacensis (Paullinia), Serjania decaplueria, Serjania mexicana (both Serjania Vine), Thinouia myriantha (Thinouia Vine)
Physical description: About 8 to 13 mm in length. Variable size and color; dorsal side is typically brown with numerous dark spots. Head and sides of pronotum are red. Spots may form vertical lines, especially near the center of the head. Spots may be bigger on veins of hemelytra and on part of membrane. Appendages are brown.
May resemble: J. sanguinolenta (head broader than coturnix), J. bayardae (ocelli much further apart), J. harrisi (finer spotting of corium; ochre extremities), J. similaris (wider head, sides of pronotum less angled), and J. silbergliedi.
Jadera coturnix rufoculis (Kirby 1890)
Range: Endemic to Fernando de Noronha
Physical description: About 9 to 11 mm in length. Typically red with spots that are mostly smaller than those of aeola; larger spots are only found on the veins of the hemelytra. Head and extremeties are brown. Ventral side is red.
Red markers = locations of collection sites
Blue region(s) of land = inferred range
3/4 inch = 2000 miles
Click here for an interactive version of this map.
Henry, T.J. and Froeschner, R.C., eds. (1988) Catalog of the Heteroptera. New York: Brill Academic Publishers.
- Carroll, SP & Loye, J.E. (1987): Specialization of Jadera species (Hemiptera: Rhopalidae) on the seeds of Sapindaceae (Sapindales), and coevolutionary responses of defense and attack. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 80: 373-378.
- Göllner-Scheiding, U. (1979): Die gattung Jadera Stal, 1862 (Heteroptera, Rhopalidae). Deutsche Entomologische Zeitschrift 26: 47-75. (English translation)
- Göllner-Scheiding, U. (1983): General-Katalog der Familie Rhopalidae (Heteroptera). Mitt. Zool. Mus. Berlin 59, 37-189.